Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 3 3/4 c. sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. soft shortening
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. fresh lemon juice
- granulated sugar
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Heat oven to 400°.
- Work shortening in a bowl until creamy.
- Add the 1 cup granulated sugar and beat until well blended.
- Add egg; beat thoroughly.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with lemon juice to creamed mixture.
- Beat until smooth.
- Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Roll a small portion of dough at a time on a lightly floured board to a thickness of about 1/4-inch.
- (Keep rest of dough refrigerated.)
- Cut with a 2-inch cookie cutter.
- Place cookies 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Makes about 4 to 5 dozen cookies.