Cornmeal Sourdough Waffles
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups buttermilk, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 eggs, egg and white separated
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Before going to bed, put 1/2 cup starter in a large mixing bowl, stir in 2 cups buttermilk, sugar, white and wheat flour; mix well and cover with cloth.
- Next morning, while waffle iron is preheating, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Lightly beat egg yolks and add to starter mixture, stir in cornmeal, butter, soda, salt, vanilla and cinnamon if using; add additional buttermilk if batter seems to stiff.
- Fold in beaten egg whites and bake in waffle iron as per manufactures directions.
- Place on wire racks to cool completely before packaging and freezing.
- To reheat, toast in toaster oven to desired degree of crispness.
- Please note that the cook time does not reflect the overnight proofing of the batter.