Ultimate Chocolate Cake
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 1 c. unsalted butter
- 2 1/3 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/3 c. sifted cake flour
- 2/3 c. buttermilk
- 1 c. boiling water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Brush cake pans with melted butter and dust with sifted flour, shaking out excess.
- Chill until needed.
- Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler.
- Allow to cool.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Mix in melted, cooled chocolate.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt and add gradually to chocolate mixture, alternating with buttermilk.
- Stir in boiling water and vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool for several minutes in pans.
- Invert onto wire rack and cool before filling and decorating.