Manhattan Clam Chowder
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 slices bacon
- 2/3 c. onion, diced
- 1/2 c. celery, diced
- 2 tsp. green bell pepper, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 c. potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 c. boiling water
- 2 c. tomatoes (stewed or canned)
- 1 Tbsp. catsup
- 2 c. clams, chopped fine (with liquid)
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. parsley, minced
- Melt butter and slowly fry the bacon in a Dutch oven until golden.
- Remove and save. Add the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic.
- Saute until onion is transparent. Add potatoes, celery, bell pepper, bay leaf and boiling water.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and catsup. Simmer until potatoes are soft.
- Add clams, thyme, cayenne pepper, parsley and bacon. Simmer 3 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Adjust seasoning and serve.