Chocolate Cucuzza Cake
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded cucuzza (Seen note below)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, oil and sugar, creaming until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and beat well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir in shredded cucuzza.
- Pour batter into a greased 13X9-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until done. You can test to see if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick near the center of the cake and see if it comes out clean. If it does, it's done.
- Allow cake to cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, combine all frosting ingredients.
- Spread over warm cake.
- Broil in oven approximately 4-6 inches from the heat for about 2-3 minutes. Be careful not to burn, it will broil fast!
- Cool cake completely before serving.
- ~NOTE~ You don't have to peel or seed the cucuzza, just wash the outside skin with warm water and pat dry before shredding.