Prune Whip Pie
- 1/2 lb. cooked, dried prunes
- 1/4 c. juice from prunes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 c. sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 tsp. gelatin
- 2 Tbsp. cold water
- baked 8 or 9-inch pastry shell
- Remove stones from prunes and press pulp through food mill or coarse sieve.
- Add juice, sugar and salt.
- Beat egg yolks; add milk and cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, until mixture coats spoon.
- Remove from heat at once and stir in gelatin, which has been softened 5 minutes in the cold water.
- Add to prunes when cool.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into baked shell and chill in refrigerator.