Omm Ali (Egyptian Bread And Butter Pudding)
- 10 -12 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons rose water
- 1/2 cup pistachio nut, chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- light cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place phyllo pastry on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp.
- Remove from oven and raise temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Scald milk and cream by pouring into a pan and raising heat gradually until hot but not boiling.
- Gradually add the beaten egg and rose water.
- Cook over a very low heat, until the mixture begins to thicken, stirring constantly.
- Using your hands, crumble the pastry and spread it in layers with the nuts and raisins into the bottom of a shallow baking dish.
- Pour the custard mixture over the nut and pastry base and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve with light cream.