- 1 3/4 c. Diamond walnuts
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/4 c. water, divided
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- powdered sugar
- Chop walnuts fine.
- Sprinkle about 1 cup evenly in 9-inch square pan.
- Set remaining walnuts aside.
- Combine gelatin and 1/2 cup of the water in measuring cup; set aside to soften.
- In 2-quart glass measuring cup with handle, combine remaining 3/4 cup water and sugar.
- Microwave at High for 5 minutes.
- Stir well until sugar dissolves.
- Microwave at High for 7 to 8 minutes or until mixture reaches 234°.
- Stir in softened gelatin; let stand until slightly cooled (about 130°).
- Stir in vanilla. Empty mixture into large bowl of electric mixer.
- Beat at high speed until mixture is very fluffy and increased 4 to 5 times in volume, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Turn into walnut-coated pan and sprinkle remaining walnuts on top.
- Let stand at room temperature several hours or overnight until mixture is firm and set.
- Use a sharp knife dipped in powdered sugar to cut mixture into 1-inch squares. Roll sides in walnuts remaining in pan and additional powdered sugar, if desired.
- Makes about 1 1/2 pounds.