French Onion Soup
- 1/4 lb. butter
- 2 1/2 lb. onions, sliced
- 1 qt. beef stock (3 cans Campbell's beef stock)
- 1 qt. chicken stock (3 cans Campbell's chicken stock)
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper (you may wish to use less)
- salt to taste (you may not want any)
- Heat butter in heavy kettle.
- Add sliced onions; brown well, stirring constantly.
- Add beef and chicken stock, the Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, garlic salt and pepper.
- Allow to simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf; add salt.
- Prepare with a slice of toasted French bread (1/2-inch thick).
- Add a thick slice of Swiss cheese (1/4-inch thick), overlapping the bowl.
- Put under the broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly.