Cocido Castellano(Castillian Bean Soup; One Pot Meal)
- 1 fist full garbanzos per person
- 1 ham hock
- 1 chorizo (Spanish sausage) or 3-inch beef smoked sausage
- 1 beef soup bone
- 1 medium onion
- 1 piece smoked bacon (2 x 2 x 3-inch cube)
- vermicelli (very fine spaghetti noodles)
- collards and another onion
- lettuce, tomatoes, lemon salt,
- olive oil
- Soak beans overnight (8 to 10 hours) in saltwater 3-inches over beans.
- When ready to cook, drain off saltwater.
- Put garbanzo beans, ham hock, sausage, soup bone, bacon and onion in boiling water and cook about 4 hours.
- When it has cooked about 3 1/2 hours, taste.
- Add salt if needed.
- Saute onions in oil.
- Add collards and pepper to taste; stir-fry.
- Add water if needed.
- Cook until done.
- Next prepare fresh salad of lettuce, tomato, etc. After bean soup is cooked, strain liquid into another pot.
- This broth is then brought to a boil (be sure to taste for salt, pepper, etc.) and use to cook the vermicelli.
- While soup is cooking (15 to 20 minutes) separate bones and gristle or fat (skins).
- On a large platter or shallow serving dish, arrange garbanzos, meat and collards.
- Put salad in separate bowl.
- The vermicelli soup should be served and eaten first.
- Then, the main course.