- 2 lb. beef brisket, plus extra beef bones (2 to 3)
- 2 qt. water
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 3 c. fresh or canned tomatoes, cut up
- 3 lb. cabbage, shredded
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- Combine brisket, bones and water in deep pot.
- Add onions and tomatoes and bring to boil.
- Skim off any foam and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 1 hour uncovered.
- Add cabbage, salt, pepper and garlic and cook another hour over low heat.
- Stir in lemon juice and sugar; cook 20 minutes longer on low heat.
- Taste to correct seasoning.
- Remove bones.
- Slice meat and serve as a garnish with soup.
- Serves 6 to 8.