Andy Ricker'S Kapi Kung (Homemade Shrimp Paste)
- 2 cups jarred Korean salted shrimp
- 2 tablespoons Thai shrimp paste (galled gapi or kapi)
- Briefly rinse the salted shrimp, then put them in a double layer of cheesecloth and gently squeeze out most of the liquid.
- Mix the salted shrimp and shrimp paste together in the mortar and pound, stirring occasionally with a spoon, until you have a coarse paste that's a more or less even light brown color, 3 to 5 minutes. It's fine if htere are very small pieces of salted shrimp.
- The paste keeps in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 6 months.