Fuyu Persimmon Rice Pilaf
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 lb firm-ripe Fuyu persimmons, peeled, seeded if necessary, and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Fresh lemon juice to taste
- Cook shallot in oil in a 1 1/2- to 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, then add rice, ginger, and cinnamon and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Fluff rice with a fork and stir in persimmons, cilantro, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm.