Calves Liver With Bacon, Sauteed Onions, And Mustard Sauce Recipe
- 12 ounce Bacon, slab or possibly sliced in 1" by 1/4" pcs
- 10 Tbsp. Unsalted butter cool
- 6 Tbsp. Chopped shallots
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 c. Red wine vinegar
- 3/4 c. Brown veal stock or possibly chicken stock
- 1/4 c. Stoneground mustard
- 6 slc Calf's liver - (8 ounce ea) trimmed of all sinew and cut into 1/2" slices Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. Unsalted butter
- 6 Tbsp. Unsalted butter - (3/4 stick)
- 3 sm Onions thinly sliced across width
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Fry bacon till crisp.
- Drain on paper towels and reserve.
- Heat 4 Tbsp.
- butter in a medium skillet over moderate heat.
- Cook shallots with salt till soft and nearly golden brown, about 3 min.
- Add in cooked bacon, stirring briefly to rewarm.
- Add in vinegar, turn the heat to high and reduce by half.
- Add in stock and reduce again by half.
- Break remaining butter into small pcs and whisk into sauce till smooth.
- Whisk in mustard and remove from heat.
- For the sauteed onions: Heat butter in a large skillet over high heat.
- Reduce heat.
- Saute/fry onions with salt, stirring occasionally, till golden, about 15 min.
- Preheat grill or possibly a dry skillet.
- Season liver with salt and pepper.
- Grill or possibly saute/fry in melted butter over high heat, about 3 min per side.
- Arrange liver over a bed of the sauteed onions on individual serving plates and spoon on sauce.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.