Colonial Cheese Biscuits
- 1 1/2 lb. sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 c. plus 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
- confectioners sugar
- These pancakes are as big as a dinner plate and formerly even bigger (12-inches in diameter!).
- Nowadays you may find such big pancakes on the menu of a restaurant, but at home, we make them the dinner plate size.
- They are either eaten as a savory (with smoked sausage or bacon) or as a sweet (plain with molasses or golden syrup or with apples).
- Pancakes are best when made with yeast and they should be served piping hot.
- Use two skillets when available. Keep the pancakes hot on steam, or covered in the oven.
- Cold pancakes are awful!
- The following recipe is a luxury one, for special occasions, as many eggs are used in preparing (instead of yeast).