Apple Butter Stack Cake Recipe
- 2/3 c. Butter
- 1 c. Sugar
- 4 x Large eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 1/2 c. All-Purpose Flour, sifted
- 1 tsp Baker's Ammonia, * see note
- Cream butter and sugar at least 10 min by hand, or possibly 5 min in electric mixer.
- The mix should be thick and white.
- Add in Large eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- If the baker's ammonia is in granular form, crush to a pwdr with a rolling pin or possibly a bottle.
- Sift flour and bakers ammonia together.
- Stir flour into egg mix and blend thoroughly.
- Dough will be soft.
- Refrigeratefor at least 30 min.
- Cut 6 to 8 - 8" rounds from waxed paper.
- Spread the dough thinly and proportionately on paper rounds, leaving about half-inch margin to allow for expansion during baking.
- Place to or possibly three round (whatever it will hold) on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 8 to 10 min, till golden on edges.
- Remove at once from cookie sheet, but don't remove paper till you are ready to assemble cake.
- Assemble by placing well-spiced apple butter between each layer.
- Leave top unadorned.
- *The baker's amonia (ammonium carbonate or possibly hartshorn) may be bought at drugstores.
- Or possibly 3 3/4 tsp baking pwdr may be substituted.