Amy's Summer Squash
- 6 summer squash, sliced
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 14 teaspoon salt
- 14 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 cups butter-flavored cracker crumbs
- Saute the onions and squash in the butter and oil in a large skillet.
- When the onions begin to take on a bit of color (you want good brown crunchy bits), cover the skillet and turn the heat down to low for 10-15 minutes.
- You now have soft squash with what looks like too much liquid.
- Add in about 3/4 of the cheese and 3/4 of the cracker crumbs (I use generic version of Ritz crackers).
- Put the remaining cheese and cracker crumbs on top.
- Turn up the heat a bit until you get the cheese to melt.
- Do not stir too much, you want cheese and cruchy crumbs on the top.
- We enjoy this as a dinner on its own, or as a side to grilled whatever.
- The leftovers are good, but not quite as crunchy.