A Salad of Beans, Peas, and Pecorino
- shelled fava beans 1 2/3 cups (250g)
- shelled peas 3 cups (400g)
- ciabatta 4 small slices
- a little olive oil
- salad leaves 4 generous handfuls
- mint leaves a good handful
- pecorino sardo cheese 3 ounces (80g), in thin shavings
- a lemon
- olive oil (fruity and peppery) 4 tablespoons
- balsamic vinegar a teaspoon
- Bring a pan of water to a boil, then salt it lightly.
- Cook the beans in this, drain them, then rinse in cold water.
- Put more water on and cook the peas.
- Drain them and mix with the beans.
- Both peas and beans will need barely more than a couple of minutes if they are small and sweet.
- Make the dressing by dissolving a good pinch of salt in the juice of the lemon, then using a fork to beat in the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a grinding of black pepper (alternatively put all the ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake).
- Toast the slices of bread on both sides and tear them into short pieces.
- Drizzle a little olive oil onto each one, then shake over a light dusting of sea salt.
- Toss the salad leaves and mint in the dressing, then add the peas, beans, and pecorino shavings.
- Tuck in the toasted ciabatta and serve.