Artichoke and Potato Puree
- a 1/2 pound russet (baking) potato
- a 9-ounce box frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a small saucepan combine the potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces, with enough cold water to cover it by 1 inch and simmer it, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes, or until it is very tender.
- While the potato is cooking, in a small skillet cook the artichoke hearts in the butter with salt and pepper to taste over moderate heat, stirring, until they are very tender.
- Drain the potato, return it to the pan, and cook it covered, over moderate heat, shaking the pan, for 30 seconds, or until excess liquid is evaporated.
- Force the artichoke mixture and the potato through a food mill fitted with a medium disk into a bowl, discarding the solids, and season the puree with salt and pepper.