"Navajo-Style" Peach Crisp (Vegan Friendly)
- 7 cups fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced (approximately 10-12 peaches)
- 12 cup natural cane sugar (I used half cane sugar and half dark brown sugar)
- 14 cup unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 23 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 12 cup natural cane sugar
- 12 teaspoon salt
- 12 cup butter (very cold and cut into small pieces)
- 12 cup pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 375?.
- Butter or oil an 11x17-inch baking dish.
- Filling: In a medium bowl, combine peaches, sugar(s), flour, and lemon juice.
- Spread fruit mixture evenly in baking dish; set aside.
- Topping: In a medium bowl, mix together flour, cornmeal, sugar, and salt.
- Use a pastry blender to work the butter pieces into the dry ingredients so the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Cover fruit evenly with topping.
- Set the baking dish on a baking sheet to catch any juices that spill over.
- Bake until fruit is bubbling, the peaches are fork tender and topping is golden in color, about 45 minutes.
- *Add* the pine nuts to the top of the crisp the final 5-10 minutes of baking.