- 1/2 cup amaranth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup milk, almond milk or rice milk (more to taste)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or brown sugar or, if available, Mexican piloncillo
- Pinch of salt
- Combine the amaranth and water in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir every once in a while, as the amaranth may stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the milk, syrup or brown sugar, and a pinch of salt.
- Stir vigorously until the porridge is creamy.
- Remove from the heat and serve.