Angel Food Cake With Strawberries And Mint Recipe
- 1 1/4 c. sifted cake flour (not self raising)
- 1 1/2 c. superfine sugar
- 14 x egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 x vanilla pods, pulp only Strawberries
- 2 quart strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1/2 c. cointreau
- 1/3 c. berry sugar, or possibly to taste
- 1/4 c. fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the cake flour with 3/4 c. of the sugar.
- Sift the mix twice and reserve In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with a whisk or possibly an electric mixer at medium speed till frothy.
- Add in the cream of tartar and continue to beat till the whites are thick and have tripled in volume.
- Sprinkle half the remaining sugar over the whites and continue beating till the sugar is incorporated.
- Repeat with the remaining sugar; beating till the whites are hard and glossy.
- Gently mix in the flour and sugar mix in 3 additions.
- With the last addition, mix in the zest.
- Spoon the batter into an unbuttered 10-inch angel food cake pan with removable bottom.
- Run a thin knife through the batter to break up any air bubbles.
- Bake for 45 min, till the cake is golden brown and springs back when gently pressed in the center with your finger.
- Invert the pan on a cooling rack and allow the cake to cold completely, for at least 1 hour.
- Run a thin knife around the sides and the center tube of the pan.
- Lift the cake out by pulling the tube.
- Run a long, thin knife along the bottom of the cake to free it from the tube.
- Carefully invert it onto a rack, lift out the tube and turn the cake top side up.
- Strawberries:Arrange berries in a bowl.
- Pour on cointreau, sprinkle with sugar and chill for 1 hour.
- Cut fresh mint leaves into thin strips and add in just before serving.
- Spoon onto angel food cake.