Apple-Cinnamon Noodle Kugel with Sour Cream
- 14 ounces medium egg noodles
- 1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) butter, melted
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Golden Delicious apples (about 1 1/2 pounds), halved, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
- Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until barely tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain well again.
- Transfer noodles to a large bowl.
- Separate noodles with your fingers.
- Add 3 tablespoons melted butter and a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Stir in sour cream, eggs, 2 tablespoons sugar, and vanilla.
- Mix half the apples with the noodle mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Add half of noodle mixture to baking dish.
- Top with remaining apples in an even layer and sprinkle them with the cinnamon mixture.
- Top with remaining noodle mixture and spread gently to cover apples.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, then with remaining melted butter.
- Cover dish and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 15 to 20 minutes or until set.
- Serve hot or warm.