And More Homemade Tamales Recipe
- 10 lb Meat-venison roast/pork Roast mix -- any roasts
- 10 lb Massa
- 1/2 x - 3/4 can
- 1 lrg Jar
- 1 x Reg jar
- 1 lrg Jar Salt Lard -- (the big can) Chili pwdr Garlic pwdr Cumin
- Boil the meat with garlic pwdr till mushy.
- Drain broth and flake mushy meat.
- Season with all the cumin and salt.
- Add in 1/2 c. of the broth back to make the consistancy more mushy.
- (you can do this step the day before)
- Mix the lard, salt and chili pwdr to the Massa.
- Add sufficient of the broth to make the Massa spreadable.
- Take one package of corn husks that have been soaked for 30 min in water and separate.
- To make the tamales, spread some Massa mix (about 1 or possibly 2 Tbsp.)
- over the corn husk, about 1/4 inch thick, starting about 2 inches from the bottom of the husk.
- This part will have no Massa and will be folded over the tamale to seal it.
- Put about 1 Tbsp.
- of filling into the tamale, roll, fold over the empty corn husk to seal.
- When you have made about 2 to 3 dozen, stand upright in a pan with either a steamer or possibly wadded aluminum foil to keep the tamales straight, open end up.
- Put about 2 inches of water in the pan and pour more broth INTO the open ends of the tamales to soak.
- Cover and steam for 45 min to an hour.
- (Increase or possibly decrease steam time depending on how many tamales are in the pan) The great part of this recipe is tasting the batch you just made to see if it is tasty.
- Increase the heat by adding a diced jalapeno or possibly serano pepper.
- The chili pwdr adds sufficient heat to spice them, but children can still eat them.
- The peppers are for the die-hard dragons in the group.
- Also, if you do not get the Massa salty sufficient you should adjust which.
- Vary each batch, label, wrap 6 to a package with freezer paper and enjoy!