- 12 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground turkey, crumbled
- 1 orange
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 12 teaspoon ground cumin
- 18 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 small dried hot red chili pepper, crushed
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 14 cup tomato paste
- 12 cup tequila
- sour cream, to garnish
- fresh cilantro stem, to garnish
- avocado, slices for garnish
- Remove any casings from sausages, crumble meat into a large, deep, heavy frying pan.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until lightly browned.
- Mix in ground turkey and cook until it begins to brown.
- Meanwhile, grate zest and squeeze juice from orange; set aside.
- To sausage and turkey, add onion and bell pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until onion is soft and lightly browned.
- Mix in garlic, salt, paprika, cumin, cloves and dried chili pepper.
- Stir in orange zest and juice, tomatoes plus their juices, tomato paste and tequila.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer about 1 hour.
- If chili is too thin for your taste, uncover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened to your liking.
- Serve garnished with sour cream, avocado and cilantro.