- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup sliced blanched almonds
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 fresh apricots, sliced thin
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream as an accompaniment
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- and butter an 8-inch round cake pan.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter over moderate heat, let it cool, and stir in the vanilla and the almond extract.
- In a food processor blend together the almonds, 2/3 cup of the sugar, and the flour until the almonds are ground fine.
- In a small bowl toss the apricots with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer beat the egg whites with the salt until they just hold stiff peaks, fold in the almond mixture gently but thoroughly, and fold in the butter mixture (the batter will deflate slightly).
- Spread the batter in the cake pan, arrange the apricot slices evenly over it, and bake the cake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it is golden and a tester comes out clean.
- Turn the cake out onto a rack, let it cool, apricot side up, for 5 minutes, and serve it warm with the whipped cream or ice cream.