Applesauce Cake With Butterscotch Meringue
- 2 12 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 12 teaspoons baking soda
- 14 teaspoon baking powder
- 34 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 12 cups applesauce
- 12 cup water
- 12 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup raisins
- 12 cup chopped nuts
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 12 cup finely chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour oblong pan 13x9x2" or 2 round layer pans 8x9x1 1/2".
- Beat all ingredients in large mixer bowl on low speed, scraping bowl constantly for 30 seconds.
- Beat on high speed, scraping bowl occasionally for 3 minutes.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (oblong 60 minutes, layers 50 to 55 minutes).
- Cool slightly before frosting.
- Just before cake is removed from oven, beat egg whites until stiff and foamy.
- Beat sugar and lemon juice gradually into egg whites until stiff.
- Carefully spread over hot cake.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake in 400 degree oven until brown, 8 to 10 minutes.