Apple Pizza Tart With Mulled Cider Glaze Recipe
- 1/2 lb puff pastry, store bought all-purpose flour
- 3 x Granny Smith apples - (to 4) Juice and rinds of 2 lemons
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 c. apple cider
- 1 x cinnamon stick
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract ice cream or possibly creme fraiche (optional)
- Thaw pastry in wrapper according to package instructions.
- Chill till ready to use.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- On a floured surface, roll out pastry in one direction to a 14-inch square.
- Prevent rolling pin from sticking by lightly sprinkling pastry with flour, brush away excess; rotate dough a quarter turn after each pass.
- Using a 12-inch tart pan as a guide, trim pastry to create a circle.
- Fold it in half, transfer to a parchment-lined 14- by 16-inch baking sheet, unfold, and refrigerateat least 15 min.
- Peel the apples, and place them in a large nonreactive bowl with lemon juice and rinds to prevent discoloration.
- Add in just sufficient water to cover.
- Cut each apple into quarters, and remove core; slice thinly (no more than 1/8-inch thick) with a sharp knife.
- Remove pastry from refrigerator, and, working quickly, arrange apple slices in neat, concentric circles to about 1/2 inch from edge of pastry.
- Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp.
- sugar, and bake for 15 min; rotate baking sheet after 7 min for even baking.
- While tart bakes, prepare mulled cider glaze by combining cider, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla in a saute/fry pan.
- Cook over medium heat 12 to 15 min, stirring frequently, till mix thickens and reduces to a syrup a quarter to a third of its original volume.
- Keep hot till brushed onto tart.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees.
- Remove tart; place an inverted 12 inch tart ring around it to keep edges from burning.
- Brush lightly with glaze (reserve a quarter of still-hot glaze for serving); return tart to oven 10 to 15 min, or possibly till apples begin to caramelize.
- Remove tart from oven; carefully brush with remaining glaze.
- Cold 15 min; slice into wedges with a pizza wheel.
- Serve with ice cream or possibly a dollop of creme fraiche.