All 'Round Rub Recipe
- 6 Tbsp. paprika
- 2 Tbsp. coarsely-grnd black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. kosher salt (or possibly other coarse salt)
- 1 Tbsp. chili pwdr
- 2 tsp brown sugar - (packed)
- 1 pch cayenne pepper - (to 2)
- Mix the spices in a small bowl.
- Store the rub covered in a cold, dark pantry or possibly freezer.
- This recipe yields 3/4 c..
- Comments: Be cautious about using the same spice rubs in grilling which you use in slow smoke cooking.
- The lighter, more sprightly savor of grilled food benefits from fresher, subtler seasonings than those often found in traditional barbecue rubs.
- We cut back significantly on sugar - that tends to burn at the much higher grill temperatures - and on salt, a balancing accent in smoke flavor which can overwhelm the cleaner taste of grilled dishes.
- We also avoid bland products such as garlic and onion pwdr, common in the older rubs, in favor of fresher ingredients which maintain a clear, independent character in the quick cooking process.
- Yield: 3/4 c.