- 18 slices bread, white soft, crusts removed
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 6 ounces artichoke hearts marinated, drained, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon scallions, spring or green onions finely chopped, chop some of tops for garnish
- 1/4 cup parmesan, parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated grated
- 1 tablespoon parmesan, parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated grated
- Roll each bread slice flat with a rolling pin and trim it to form a 2 1/2 inch square.
- Brush both sides of the squares lightly with the butter and fit the squares into gem muffin tins, pressing the bread against the sides of the tins.
- Bake the croustades in the middle of a preheated 350 deg.
- oven 12 to 14 minutes, oruntil the edges are pale golden.
- These may be made 2 days in advance & kept in an airtight container.
- In a bowl stir together the artichoke hearts, mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of the scallion, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Divide the mixture by heaping teaspoons among the croustad and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan on top.
- Broil the croustades under a preheated broiler about 6" from the heat, being careful not to let the croustade edges burn, for 1 minute, or until the filling is bubbling.
- Garnish the croustades with the scallion green and arrange 3 of them on each of 6 small plates.