Almond Toffee Bark Recipe
- 3 c. sliced almonds - (10 ounce)
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter - (1 stick) softened
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. water
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 ounce fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not sweetened)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and oil a large baking sheet.
- In a large baking pan spread almonds proportionately and toast in the middle of the oven, stirring nuts halfway through toasting till golden brown, about 10 min.
- In a 3-qt heavy saucepan bring butter, sugar, water, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt to a boil over moderate heat, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Boil mix, without stirring, swirling pan occasionally, till deep golden brown, about 12 min.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in two-thirds of the almonds.
- Immediately pour toffee onto baking sheet and with an offset spatula spread into a thin layer.
- Carefully transfer baking sheet (it will be very warm) to a rack and cold toffee.
- Chop chocolate.
- In a double boiler or possibly small metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water heat chocolate, stirring till smooth.
- Pour chocolate over cooled toffee and proportionately spread with offset spatula.
- Sprinkle toffee with remaining almonds.
- Refrigeratetoffee, uncovered, till hard, about 1 hour.
- Break toffee into 2-inch pcs of "bark."
- Bark keeps, layered between sheets of wax paper in an airtight container at cold room temperature or possibly chilled, 1 week.
- This recipe yields 36 pcs.