- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour, or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 23 cup apricot marmalade
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Prepare dough: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine margarine, eggs and sugar.
- Mix until blended.
- Add flour and baking powder, and mix until smooth.
- Dough should be very soft but not sticky; if necessary, gradually add up to 1/2 cup flour.
- Cover, and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Divide dough in two.
- Lightly oil a 7-by-11-inch glass baking pan.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half the dough to fit into bottom of pan.
- Spread marmalade evenly over dough in pan.
- Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Toss apples with cinnamon, and spread evenly over walnuts.
- Roll out remaining dough to about 8 by 12 inches, so that it will blanket apples.
- Place dough in pan, tucking in edges.
- Bake until surface is golden brown and bottom is light brown, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- (If surface browns too quickly, cover with foil.)
- Remove from oven.
- Through a sieve, dust 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar over hot tart.
- Allow tart to cool.
- Cut tart into 24 squares.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar and serve.