Almond Nougat Recipe
- 1 1/2 c. Light corn syrup
- 2 c. Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 c. Water
- 2 x Egg whites
- 1/2 tsp Almond extract Red or possibly green food coloring
- 1/4 c. Soft butter or possibly margarine
- 1 c. Toasted minced almonds
- 1/4 c. Minced candied cherries
- DIRECTIONS: Mix first 4 ingredients in heavy saucepan.
- Cook, stirring, till sugar is dissolved.
- Cook, without stirring, till a small amount of the mix dropped in cool water forms a hard ball (250-F).
- Beat egg whites till stiff, but not dry, in large bowl of electric mixer.
- Gradually beat in about one fourth (not more) of the syrup, and continue beating till mix holds its shape.
- Cook remaining syrup till a small amount of mix separates into hard and brittle threads when dropped in cool water
- Gradually beat into first mix, and continue beating till the mix begins to hold its shape.
- Add in flavoring and food coloring to tint a delicate shade.
- Beat in butter; continue beating till very thick and satiny.
- Stir in nuts and cherries.
- Press into a buttered 8x8x2" pan, smoothing top.
- Let stand till hard.
- Turn out of pan, and cut in 1 1/2" by 1" pcs.
- Wrap each piece individually in waxed paper.
- For best flavor, store several days in a cold place before serving.