Anchovy Zuppetta, Rowboat-Style
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 jalapenos, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. sliced almonds
- 1/2 md. red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 lb. anchovies
- sardines, cleaned, gutted
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 10 basil leaves, cut chiffonade
- 10 mint leaves, cut chiffonade
- Bread slices, grilled
- In a 12- to 14-inch saute pan, heat oil until smoking.
- Add jalapenos, almonds and onions and cook until softened and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add white wine and tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Add anchovies and return to boil.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook through, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour into warm bowl, sprinkle with scallions, basil and mint and serve with grilled bread drizzled with good oil.