Alex And Garry's Sopa De Limon Recipe
- 12 c. Chicken stock homemade or possibly canned
- 1 sprg Mint
- 8 x Allspice berries
- 15 x Black peppercorns
- 1 x Cinnamon stick, 3" long
- 5 whl cloves
- 6 x Cumin seeds
- 2 sm Garlic heads halved horizontally
- 2 sm Yellow onions peeled and halved
- 2 whl Chicken breasts skin & bone left on
- 1 Tbsp. Minced fresh cilantro
- 1 x Fresh guero or possibly habanero warm chile pepper whole
- 3 x Lemons cut into eighths
- 2 lrg Ripe tomatoes - peeled seeded and minced Salt to taste
- 1 x Lemon sliced paper thin Minced fresh warm chile peppers (such as guero or possibly jalapeno, seeded and finely diced)
- 2 x to 3 Avocados peeled and diced
- In a large nonreactive soup kettle, bring the stock, mint, allspice, peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, garlic, and onions to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 min.
- Add in the chicken breasts, cilantro, whole chile pepper, and the cut lemons and continue to simmer till the chicken is cooked, approximately 15 min.
- Remove the chicken and let cold.
- Skim the soup and strain into a clean kettle.
- Return the soup to the heat and continue cooking over low heat.
- When the chicken is cold, remove the skin and bones and shred.
- Add in the shredded chicken and minced tomato to the soup and bring to a boil.
- Add in salt to taste.
- Pour the soup in a hot tureen and float the lemon slices on top.
- Serve the minced chile and avocado on the side.
- This recipe serves 10.
- Comments: Yucatan faces the Caribbean sea so it comes as no surprise which all the spices and herbs used in this soup are more indigenous to the islands than to the cooking ingredients we associate with Mexico.