10-Vegetable Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, preferably Meyer lemon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped chervil or parsley
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 jumbo asparagus stalks, peeled
- 6 baby carrots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
- 1/2 cup sugar snap peas (2 ounces), trimmed
- 4 cups packed assorted baby lettuce leaves or mesclun (3 ounces)
- 4 radishes, julienned
- 2 white mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulbhalved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Kirby or Japanese cucumber, julienned
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, cut into 2-by-1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup pea sprouts or broccoli sprouts
- 1/4 cup raw cashew halves
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the olive oil, chervil and honey and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- Add the asparagus and carrots and cook until the asparagus is bright green and the carrots are barely tender, about 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the asparagus and carrots to a platter.
- Add the sugar snap peas to the saucepan and cook until they turn bright green, about 30 seconds; transfer to the platter.
- Cut the sugar snap peas into julienne strips.
- Halve the asparagus stalks lengthwise, then halve the asparagus pieces crosswise.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce, asparagus, carrots, sugar snap peas, radishes, mushrooms, fennel, cucumber, avocado, sprouts and cashews.
- Add the vinaigrette and toss well.
- Serve right away.