A Very Apple Pie Recipe
- 1 pkt pie crust mix (11 ounce.) or possibly 1 pkg. frzn deep dish pie crust or possibly one scratch two-layer pie crust
- 1 x egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp. apple jelly
- 2 c. apple cider
- 1 c. sugar
- 3 lb tart cooking apples such as Granny Smith
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. butter or possibly margarine
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare crust according to directions and place bottom layer in a deep dish pie pan.
- Make filling: In large skillet (10 to 12-inch), combine cider and sugar, bring to boiling, stirring till sugar dissolves.
- Boil uncovered, 15 min.
- Pare and core apples; slice 1/4-inch thick (about 10 c.).
- Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Add in apples to cider mix and return to a boil over moderate heat, stirring several times.
- Lower heat; simmer, uncovered 5 min, till apple slices are partially cooked.
- With slotted spoon, lift apples out of syrup and spread on bottom layer of the pie crust.
- Return remaining syrup to boiling, uncovered, 10 min.
- Syrup should measure 1 c..
- Pour over apple slices and dot with butter.
- Cut 10 3/4-inch wide dough strips from top crust.
- Arrange 5 strips across the filling and press to pastry edge of bottom crust.
- Place second 5 strips at right angle to first five to make a lattice.
- Press to edge of pastry.
- Beat egg yolk with 1 Tbsp.
- of water, brush over lattice, but not on edge.
- Bake 35 to 40 min, or possibly till pastry is golden and juice bubbles.
- Remove to wire rack.
- Over low heat, heat jelly; use to brush over apples and pastry.
- Serve hot with ice cream or possibly whipped cream, if you like.
- Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- Lorie Says: For those who find apple pie too bland to enjoy, this pie will knock your socks off.
- The secret is the blend of three different apple ingredients, that give this pie a very rich taste.