Anchovies, Ontona Style: Alici Ontona
- 1 quart extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh anchovies, gutted and filleted
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- In a tall-sided pot, heat the olive oil to 375 degrees F.
- Dredge the anchovy fillets in the flour, then in the egg, then in the bread crumbs to coat well.
- Working in batches to avoid overcrowding the pot and changing the temperature of the oil, fry the fillets in the hot oil until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Remove with a spider or slotted spoon and immediately season with salt and pepper.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with lemon wedges alongside.