Arroz con Gandules
- 2 cups white long grain rice
- 1 can Goya gandules
- 4 tbsp sofrito (Goya brand is fine if you don't want to make it)
- 1/2 can Goya tomato sauce
- 1 packet sazon con culantro y achiote
- 1 packet Goya ham flavoring
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat oil in a large pot (I use a caldero) on medium-high heat.
- Add sofrito and cook it for about a minute or two.
- Add seasonings.
- The sazon, the ham flavoring, cumin, oregano and mix into the sofrito.
- Add tomato sauce and stir.
- Add can of beans (WITH liquid) and stir.
- Add as many green olives as you would like or none if you don't like them and stir.
- Wait for the gandules to come to a boil in the sauce then stir in rice.
- Make sure it is all mixed together well.
- Add enough water to cover an inch above rice.
- Add salt and stir it in.
- Let it boil uncovered and without stirring until most of the liquid evaporates.
- Lower heat to medium-low or "2", give it 1-2 big stirs, cover pot with lid and cook for 15 min.
- Give 1-2 big stirs again then cook (covered) for another 10-15 & ur done!