Apple Sauce Fruit Cake
- 213 cups applesauce thick, well-drained
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 large eggs well beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup nuts broken
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mace
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 23 cup molasses
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds raisins, seedless
- 1/4 pound citron thinly sliced
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Add apple sauce, which has been sieved to remove all lumps, molasses, eggs, and lemon juice.
- Sift white flour, measure, and sift with baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Dredge raisins in whole wheat flour.
- Add white flour mixture to batter gradually.
- Beat thoroughly.
- Add dredged raisins.
- Put a layer of the batter into a paper-lined baking pan.
- Add a layer of citron and nuts, cover with a layer of the batter.
- Repeat, having the top layer of the batter.
- Bake in a slow oven (300 to 325 F) about 2 hours.