Apple Apricot Pastries Recipe
- Safflower oil for coating Baking pan
- 2 c. Thinly sliced green apples
- 1/2 c. Dry currants
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. Date sugar
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 3/4 c. Grnd almonds
- 8 sht filo
- 1/3 c. Melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 c. Apricot preserves
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9- by 12-inch baking pan with shallow sides.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, cook apples, currants, lemon juice, vanilla, and date sugar till soft (about 15 min).
- Remove from heat and let cold.
- In a small bowl mix cinnamon, nutmeg, and almonds.
- Set aside.
- Sprinkle each sheet of filo with 2 tsp.
- of the melted butter, then spread butter to coat filo proportionately.
- Sprinkle sheets with almond mix and pile one sheet on top of another.
- Line prepared baking pan with stack of filo sheets, folding edges where necessary to make 1-inch sides.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook apricot preserves till soft, then spread proportionately over top sheet of filo.
- Spoon apple mix over preserves.
- Bake pastry till slightly browned (about 20 min).
- Let cold, then cut into 2-inch squares.
- Makes 12 squares.