A Different Chick Pea Spread
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) chick peas
- Drain the chick peas and reserve the liquid.
- Mash them with a potato masher, or puree in a blender or food processor.
- Blend in the garlic, lemon juice, peanut butter, cumin, salt, oil, and cayenne pepper.
- Add enough of the reserved chick pea liquid to make a smooth, but not runny, paste.
- *You can serve this with pita bread cut up into small triangles.
- **You can refrigerate this for 3 to 5 days.
- ***This is a variation of a Middle Eastern dish using peanut butter in place of sesame paste (tahini).