Almond Stuffed Baked Pears
- 6 ripe pears
- 3 oranges, juice of 3, zest of just 1
- 1 ounce softened butter
- 2 ounces golden superfine sugar
- 2 ounces ground almonds
- 1 egg white, lightly whisked
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 400F Cut the pears in half, peel and remove the core.
- Lightly butter a shallow ovenproof dish large enough to take the halved pears in one layer.
- Arrange the pears, cut sides up, in the dish and pour the orange juice over and around them.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until softened.
- Beat in the orange zest and ground almonds, then stir in the egg white.
- Spoon a little mixture into the cavity of each pear, then scatter the flaked almonds over.
- Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and return to the oven for a further 20 minutes, until the pears are tender and the filling golden.