Apple and Potato Gratin
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 pounds red bliss potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 pounds Rome or Winesap apples, peeled, cored, and very thinly sliced
- 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish with the butter.
- Combine the salt, white pepper, and nutmeg and stir well to blend.
- Lay 1/3 of the potatoes evenly in the bottom of the baking dish and season with 3/4 teaspoon of the spice blend.
- Place half of apples on top of the potatoes and sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese on top of the apples.
- Lay a second layer of potatoes in the baking dish, season with 3/4 teaspoon of the spice blend and top with the remaining apples.
- Sprinkle another 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Lay the last of the potatoes over the cheese, season with another 3/4 teaspoon of spice and top with the last of the cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the heavy cream with the remainder of the spice blend and the Essence.
- Pour over the potatoes and apples and press down to fill the air spaces.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and continue to cook until the potatoes are tender and the top is bubbly and golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Yield: 2/3 cup