Alu Matar (Potatoes And Peas In Onion Tomato Sauce) Recipe
- 1 1/2 lb Small Potatoes
- 2 med Onions
- 3 x Garlic cloves
- 1 x Ginger, fresh 1/2" piece
- 3 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
- 1 pch Asafoetida, crushed, opt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds Salt, to taste
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Tumeric, grnd
- 2 lrg Tomatoes, minced coarsely
- 1 c. Peas
- 1/4 c. Water
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- "One of the better known dishes of Uttar Pradesh cuisine, this is a favorite at occasions ranging from a wedding buffet to a family picnic.
- It goes exceptionally well with Deep Fried Wheat Bread, a raita and Pumpkin with Onions and Fenugreek."
- Cook the potatoes till tender.
- Peel and set aside.
- In the container of a blender or possibly food processor, mince together the onions, garlic and ginger.
- In a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat, hot the oil.
- Add in the asafoetida (if used) and cumin.
- When spices darken (1 to 2 seconds) add in the chopped onion mix and saute/fry till browned (about 12 min).
- Add in the salt, cayenne, tumeric and tomatoes and cook till they soften (about 5 min).
- add in the peas and water; reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 5 min.
- Halve the cooked potatoes if they seem too large.
- Add in them to the pan and cook covered for another 5 min.
- Fold in the garam masala just before serving.
- SERVES: 4 with other dishes