Almond Roca in the Round
- 1 cup butter
- 1 12 cups sugar
- 12 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 14 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 12 cups toasted sliced almonds, divided
- 1 12 cups semisweet chocolate
- 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
- Lightly spray 36 mini-muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat until butter is melted.
- Add sugars, water and corn syrup, stirring to combine well.
- Cook, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Raise heat to medium-high.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture reaches 300 degrees F. on a candy thermometer.
- Remove from heat, and stir in 1 cup toasted almonds.
- Working quickly, carefully spoon about 1 tablespoon sugar mixture into prepared muffin pans.
- In a small bowl, combine chocolate morsels and vegetable shortening.
- Microwave on High in 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until melted and smooth (approximately 1-1/2 minutes total.
- Spoon about 2 teaspoons chocolate mixture on top of sugar mixture, spreading chocolate to edges of muffin cup.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cups almonds on top of chocolate.
- Let stand for 1 hour, or until chocolate is set.
- NOTE: To make a simplified version of Almond Roca, prepare butter-sugar mixture according to recipe directions, but instead of spooning it into muffin pans, simply spoon onto a sheet of parchment paper or a Silpat.
- Spread to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Spread melted chocolate on top of cooled candy.
- Sprinkle wih remaining 1/2 cup toasted almonds.
- Let stand for an hour or until chocolate is set.
- Break into pieces and enjoy!