- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup premium orange juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 cups whole natural almonds, roasted
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 -pound package phyllo dough, thawed for 15 to 30 minutes if frozen
- Combine ingredients in a microwave-safe container, and cook on high heat 1 minute.
- Stir and cook 1 more minute.
- Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until cold.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place almonds in a food processor and process with sugar, cinnamon, allspice and salt until almonds are roughly ground.
- Generously brush a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish with melted butter.
- Halve phyllo sheets crosswise and stack sheets.
- Keep stack covered with 2 overlapping sheets of plastic wrap and then a dampened clean kitchen towel.
- Lay 2 sheets of phyllo in bottom of baking dish and brush top sheet generously with butter.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of almond mixture.
- Continue to layer 2 sheets at a time, staggering sheets in each double layer slightly to cover bottom of dish, brushing every second sheet generously with butter and add 1 cup of the almond mixture, until 10 sheets of phyllo have been used, total.
- Brush top layer of phyllo with butter.
- Let baklava stand at room temperature to harden slightly, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, cut baklava into 6 equal squares, then cut each piece in half diagonally to make 12 triangles.
- Be sure to cut all the way through.
- Bake baklava until golden, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Transfer dish to a rack to cool, then slowly pour cold syrup around edges of hot baklava, in between all cuts, and over top.
- Let stand at room temperature at least 8 hours.
- Cover when baklava is at room temperature.
- Do not chill.
- Baklava keeps in an air-tight container up to 1 week.