Arancini Di Riso (Rice Balls)
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 2 cups cooked rice, cooled
- 12 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 12 cups dried Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Pour enough oil in a heavy large saucepan to reach the depth of 3 inches.
- Heat the oil over medium heat to 350 degrees F.
- Stir the eggs, rice, Parmesan, and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs in a large bowl to combine.
- Place the remaining breadcrumbs in a medium bowl.
- Using about 2 tablespoons of the rice mixture for each, form the rice mixture into 1 3/4-inch-diameter balls.
- Insert 1 cube of mozzarella into the center of each ball.
- Roll the balls in the bread crumbs to coat.
- Working in batches, add the rice balls to the hot ail and cook until brown and heated through, turning them as necessary, about 4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the rice balls to paper towels to drain.
- Season with salt.
- Let rest 2 minutes.
- Serve hot.