3 Cheese and Onion Picnic Tartlets
- 3 large Spanish onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 8 tablespoons peach preserves or 8 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 7 tablespoons dry white wine
- 13 ounces puff pastry, chilled, ready rolled
- 3 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 ounce Roquefort cheese (or any soft, blue veined cheese)
- 6 slices goat cheese
- Tip the onions and garlic into a large saute pan with the olive oil, butter and about 1 tbsp rosemary leaves.
- Cook, stirring, over a low heat until the onions are very soft and a deep, golden brown.
- This will take a good 15-20mins.
- Add the preserves and wine and bring to the boil.
- Bubble gently, stirring, until the onions are sticky and glazed with most of the liquid evaporated.
- Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 425F Unroll the puff pastry sheet and stamp out six, 5in rounds.
- Place on a baking sheet and, with a sharp knife, score an inner circle about 1in from the edge.
- Brush the pastry lightly with egg and bake for 8mins or until pale golden brown.
- Spoon the caramelized onions into the centre of each tartlet case.
- Beat together the mascarpone, remaining egg and blue cheese.
- Dip the goat cheese slices into the mixture to coat lightly and sit on top of the onions.
- Season with pepper and a few extra rosemary leaves then bake for a further 8-10mins or until the cheese is pale golden and beginning to melt.