Apple Swirl Bread
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105F to 115F)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 34 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 12 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon water
- 12 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 14 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 14 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl.
- Add sugar, shortening, egg, salt, and half the flour; beat at low speed of an electric mixer until smooth.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Meanwhile, make Apple Filling: Combine first 4 ingredients in a saucepan; cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Remove cover, and continue to cook 10 minutes or until all liquid evaporates.
- Stir in almonds and vanilla.
- Punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 4 or 5 times.
- Roll dough into a 15- x 7-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface; sprinkle apple filling evenly over dough.
- Roll up jellyroll fashion, starting at short side.
- Pinch seams and ends together.
- Place roll, seam side down, in a greased 9- x 5- x 3-inch loafpan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85), free from drafts, about 40 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 350 for 50 to 55 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.